About NM Army MARS
What is MARS?
The Military Auxiliary Radio System is a Department of Defense sponsored program, established as a separately managed and operated program by the Army, Navy and Air Force.
The program consists of licensed amateur radio operators who are interested in military communications. They contribute to the MARS mission providing auxiliary or emergency communications on a local, national, and international basis as an adjunct to normal communications.
In November 1925, the Army Amateur Radio System (AARS) was formed by a few dedicated pioneers in the United States Army Signal Corps. This organization continued until the start of World War II when operations were suspended. Army amateur radio was authorized to resume operations in 1946 and the Army Amateur Radio System was reactivated and functioned as such until 1948 when the Army and Air Force established the Military Amateur Radio System, later renamed the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS). In 1962, the Navy-Marine Corps MARS program was launched making MARS a joint service program. In late 2009, the Military Affiliate Radio System was renamed to the Military Auxiliary Radio System to help facilitate volunteer involvement.
The mission of Army MARS is to:
- Provide Department of Defense sponsored emergency communications on a local, national, and international basis as an adjunct to normal communications.
- Provide auxiliary communications for military, civil, and/or disaster officials during periods of emergency.
- Assist in effecting normal communications under emergency conditions.
- Create interest, and furnish a means of training members in military communications procedures.
- Provide a potential reserve of trained radio communications personnel.
- Handle moral and quasi-official record and voice communications traffic for Armed Forces and authorized U.S. Government civilian personnel stationed throughout the world.
- Conduct an appropriate Amateur Radio program as a part of the annual celebration of Armed Forces Day.
How to Join
To learn more about joining NM Army MARS and get an application, please visit our recruitment page.